Atlas VPN analysis based on Risk Based Security data reveals that exposed data hit a record 36.1 billion in the first three quarters of 2020.
The number of data records leaked this year is more than two times higher than in the entire year of 2019 and make up more than half (51%) of all exposed data in the past five years.
The report shows that:
- Leaked data records reached 36.1 billion in the first three quarters of 2020 — more than two times the number of records leaked in the entire 2019.
- Leaked data records through Q3 2020 make up more than half (51%) of all leaked data in the past 5 years.
- The first three quarters of 2020 saw a 332% increase in leaked data records compared to the same period last year.
- Leaked data records surged by a whopping 1,453% over the past 5 years if comparing the first three quarters of 2016 to 2020.
- A record-high number of data leaked this year is a result of 2,953 publicly reported data breaches.
- Unlike leaked data records, data breaches dropped by 51% compared to the same period last year.
- The most commonly exposed data types were names (45%), emails (36%), and passwords (29%).
- The healthcare sector endured the most data breaches out of all the economic sectors, accounting for 12% of all breaches this year.
To see the full report, please click here.