New data has emerged revealing phablet devices were by far the fastest growing mobile segment between January 2014 and January 2015.
Phablets are often describes as large smartphones, such as the iPhone 6 Plus and the Samsung Galaxy Note. Despite their supersized screens, they can still fit in your pocket, unlike a tablet.
This new data from Flurry Analytics reports while medium smartphones have increased their market share by about one-third (38%) and small tablets have boosted their share by 14%, phablets have increased their market share by nearly 150% year-over-year, as Bizreports writes.
“While it may seem, given the name, that phablets are simply the middle ground between a smartphone and a tablet, it is a game-changing form factor. It is a killer media-consumption device. Looking at [the data], you might argue that the phablet is taking market share from the tablet, but if you seek the true victim of the phablet, it is the mobile web,” writes the report authors. “Since the ascension of phablets, the total time spent in apps compared to mobile web picked up an additional 2%, increasing total time spent in apps to 88% of total time spent on mobile in the US, versus 12% on the mobile web. This is compared to 86% and 14% respectively in April of 2014. Our data shows that this shift is predominantly attributed to phablets.”
Flurry also described the phablet as a “game-changer” and the “killer media-consumption device.”
An earlier forecast by IDC predicts total shipments of phablets (defined by IDC as having screens measuring 5.5 to 7 inches) will increase from 175 million in 2014 to 318 million this year — exceeding forecasts for tablet shipments of 233 million this year.
Photo via Apple
Latest posts by (see all)
- B2B News for June 2, 2022: AgTech Robots Come to Canada, HUB Cyber Security Buy Back - June 2, 2022
- Content Marketing Assets: A Primer - May 20, 2022
- B2B News for May 12, 2022: First Integrated Metaverse, Gaming, and Crypto Media Company Created, CGI Sends $1 Million to Ukraine - May 12, 2022
- B2B News for Wednesday, January 19, 2022: Cradlepoint and Juniper Partnership, New ABM Research, New Contentstack CRO - January 19, 2022
- B2B News for Friday, January 14, 2022: Global Consumer Survey, Dealing with e-Waste, Hybrid Office Support - January 14, 2022
- B2B News for Wednesday, January 12, 2022: US Companies See Most Ransom Ware Attacks, Employment in 2030 - January 12, 2022
- 5 things law marketing can learn from the Kansas City Royals - November 6, 2014
- Technologists now need two essentials – AI and automation - March 28, 2023
- B2B News Network Tuesday Wrap: Play going Hamilton to Amsterdam, BIMM growing fastest in the US, and more - March 28, 2023
- Mastering Small Business Marketing In 2023: The Expert Guide You’ve Been Waiting For - March 24, 2023