Twitter cofounder Ev Williams joined a new venture fund aiming to assist companies working to change the world in a positive way.
The altruistic company, dubbed Obvious Ventures, calls itself a “world positive” venture capital company, and writes on its website:
“We’re entrepreneurs. We’ve helped a lot of companies launch, grow, and generate great financial returns. A few of these companies also deliver positive social and environmental benefits with every dollar of revenue they earn. We want to fund and build more of those.”
They go on to add: “[World positive] businesses have advantages in the market and can outperform their more traditional peers. These types of businesses have sustainable positive impact. Their profits further their purpose, and their margins drive their mission.”
Williams has already used The Obvious Corporation as a startup incubator, where he launched Twitter and later Medium, “both of which were spun off into standalone businesses. Biz Stone, another Twitter cofounder, worked at Obvious while he launched his Q&A-based social network Jelly,” as Mashable writes.
In an interview with Recode, Williams said Obvious will seek to turn a profit…but with a different angle on who it selects to fund.
“It is inevitably a value judgment,” Williams said. “We have to hold ourselves to be intellectually honest: Do we really feel good about this? At scale, does this have an impact? We won’t do anything where the technology or product seems negative.”
Latest posts by (see all)
- B2B News for June 2, 2022: AgTech Robots Come to Canada, HUB Cyber Security Buy Back - June 2, 2022
- Content Marketing Assets: A Primer - May 20, 2022
- B2B News for May 12, 2022: First Integrated Metaverse, Gaming, and Crypto Media Company Created, CGI Sends $1 Million to Ukraine - May 12, 2022
- B2B News for Wednesday, January 19, 2022: Cradlepoint and Juniper Partnership, New ABM Research, New Contentstack CRO - January 19, 2022
- B2B News for Friday, January 14, 2022: Global Consumer Survey, Dealing with e-Waste, Hybrid Office Support - January 14, 2022
- B2B News for Wednesday, January 12, 2022: US Companies See Most Ransom Ware Attacks, Employment in 2030 - January 12, 2022
- 5 things law marketing can learn from the Kansas City Royals - November 6, 2014
- Preparing for AI: Secure your organization - June 2, 2023
- Three considerations for technologists managing on-premises and hybrid environments - June 1, 2023
- A Sound Investment: The Ultimate Guide to Hearing Protection - May 31, 2023