Google is looking to shift more of its digital marketing budget into programmatically traded campaigns, according to its global chief marketing officer Lorraine Twohill.
“The biggest barrier to getting to that is that the team gets the value, so retraining your team because it changes their jobs,” Twohill said.
Google is reportedly in the process of moving all of its campaigns, such as for its Chromecast product, over to programmatic “one by one”, the Drum writes, “and is working to overcome the current limitations of programmatic, which doesn’t currently cater for skippable ads.”
Twohill said the Google team has to test and learn how to best take advantage of programmatic. “In the US we’ve started getting some of our newer campaigns into programmatic so they are programmatic from day one, and we’re moving campaigns in one by one. Sometimes it’s hard to disrupt existing campaigns because you worry about what could happen if you turn stuff off.
“There’s things in programmatic that aren’t quite there yet. I really care about ads where people can play and engage so skippable ads, mutable ads; programmatic doesn’t support that yet. I care about cost-per-click, programmatic doesn’t support that yet. I assume all this will come, I think it’s inevitable, but until all those things are there it’s hard for me to get to 60 per cent but we’re moving as fast as we can,” Twohill went on to say.
In Canada, marketers are also dipping their toes into programmatic technology, said Adam Green, agency lead at Google Canada.
He points to Loblaw Companies Ltd. as a sterling example. The grocer chain recently experimented with tweaking its ads to align with regional tastes in different provinces, such as promoting a certain kind of squash on its site in Manitoba, versus what it might publicize in Alberta.
Flickr photo via Nan Palmero
Latest posts by (see all)
- B2B News for June 2, 2022: AgTech Robots Come to Canada, HUB Cyber Security Buy Back - June 2, 2022
- Content Marketing Assets: A Primer - May 20, 2022
- B2B News for May 12, 2022: First Integrated Metaverse, Gaming, and Crypto Media Company Created, CGI Sends $1 Million to Ukraine - May 12, 2022
- B2B News for Wednesday, January 19, 2022: Cradlepoint and Juniper Partnership, New ABM Research, New Contentstack CRO - January 19, 2022
- B2B News for Friday, January 14, 2022: Global Consumer Survey, Dealing with e-Waste, Hybrid Office Support - January 14, 2022
- B2B News for Wednesday, January 12, 2022: US Companies See Most Ransom Ware Attacks, Employment in 2030 - January 12, 2022
- 5 things law marketing can learn from the Kansas City Royals - November 6, 2014
- Richard Yu Explains How B2B Companies Succeed in the Global Marketplace - July 1, 2022
- The Ultimate Checklist For Choosing A CPQ Solution - June 30, 2022
- B2B News for Thursday, June 30, 2022: Cloud Data Engineering and Security Deals - June 30, 2022