The pandemic drew many of us into new hobbies. Among the ones that got popular, DIY projects stood out. Even TikTok, known for creating viral challenges and dance crazes, also showcased amazing DIY projects.
Influencing more people to partake in DIY projects can have lasting benefits. The more stuff people create from scratch, the less money they spend. DIY projects also leave a lighter carbon footprint, allowing you to be kinder to earth.
Also, DIY projects make better use of your time. It’s a welcome distraction from the dreadful things happening in the world. But we’ve been in a pandemic for nearly two years now. Chances are you already tried every possible DIY project there is. If you’re still itching for more, go techie and start any or all of these incredible projects:
1. DIY UV-C Box
Getting vaccinated shouldn’t stop you from sterilizing anything that’s been touched by other people. You’re still at risk for getting mild COVID-19. To increase your defenses, use UV-C light to sterilize small items handed to you, like parcels and documents.
UV-C light sterilizers are available in stores, but they’re quickly running out of stock. Don’t wait for them to be available again; make your own! All you need is:• A UV-C light bulb (60V, 9W, 254 nm wavelength). This isn’t the same as those decorative UV-B lights or “black lights.” The UV-C light is specifically for disinfecting.• Plastic tote with a latching lid• Plastic box with a locking lid• Mesh paint grid• Extension cord• Cable ties• Aluminum foil tape
Connect the UV-C light bulb to the cable ties, and use the extension cord to give it power. But don’t turn it on without protective eyewear; looking directly at a UV-C light can damage your eyes.
Afterward, cover the inside of the plastic box’s lid with aluminum foil tape. Then attach the UV-C light to it.
Put the plastic tote and mesh paint grid inside the plastic box, making sure it fits snugly. You might need to drill holes into the lid to let the cable ties pass through. When everything is assembled, test out your DIY UV-C light sterilizer; no amount of light should shine outside the box. If you nailed it, start disinfecting your used face masks before throwing them out.
2. Charging Station
If you’re a techie DIY beginner, start with a basic charging station. The instructions can be as simple as buying a floating plastic shelf and installing it above a socket. But if you want to take it up a notch, try using recycled materials. For example, if you have an unused kitchen accessory, like a tray or a dish rack, take it. Put it in a common area, where you can leave your charging devices safe. Buy a power strip to be able to charge multiple devices at once.
If the wires make a mess, buy a wire organizer, or hide them by running them along the edges of a table and securing them with cord channels.
For the seasoned DIY-er, creating their own keyboard might be a piece of cake. Choosing the right size is important because it will determine how easy or difficult finding parts will be. Custom keyboards are often 60% of the full-size keyboard. The remaining 40% are the function keys, arrow keys, or navigational clusters. If you’d need those keys, go for the full-size, though you might find it hard to buy parts. That’s because full-size keyboards normally come as pre-built units.
Add some cool features to your DIY custom keyboard. Using RGB lighting is common among gamers, and you can make the lights do tricks every time you press a key. If you want something niftier, consider QMK Firmware, an addition that can make your keyboard programmable.
4. Personal Computer
Building your own PC can be your best DIY project yet. You can build from scratch, buy every component and assemble them, or buy pre-built parts then combine them.
If you’d do the former, the most crucial parts you need are:• Motherboard• Processor (CPU)• Graphics card (GPU)• Storage• Memory (RAM)• Power supply• Case• Operating system
Prioritize the tech specs more than the aesthetics. It won’t be cheap to create a DIY PC, so you better end up with satisfactory tech specs. If you’d need help, don’t hesitate to reach out to a pro. You shouldn’t settle for less in an expensive and laborious project like this.
These fresh DIY ideas can challenge your mind and skills. It might offer the type of mental exercise you didn’t know you need. So check your toolbox now and see which one of these you can start ASAP.
Meta title: Tech Items You Can Build Yourself
meta desc: DIY projects are getting more popular lately, and we can imagine that it’s because of the stay-at-home orders. If you’ve already run out of items to DIY, try going techie and see if you can create these.
Latest posts by B2BNN Newsdesk (see all)
- Digitized Solutions For Better Bar Management - January 12, 2022
- Safe ways to bet and control your wallet - January 12, 2022
- Things You Need to Know Before You Move to Israel: The Complete Guide - January 11, 2022